Journal Entry:  3 March 2001

Time is flying and the third annual club meeting is only 34 days away, time to get busy!

I really wanted to secure the neon to the neon backplate, but after hearing several horror stories about broken neon I didn't want to use wires to secure it.  So instead I used some scrap pieces of 1/4" acrylic rod and GOOP glue.  It's messy to work with and the final look doesn't appeal the neatness freak in me, but it is very secure and after all it won't show.
Here's a couple of shots:
Neon photo 1
Neon photo 2

I finished testing the stereo system.  The audio output of my laptop required a small pre-amp which I built with a couple of LM386 chips from radio shack.  The output of the right channel gets split off after the pre-amp to feed the neon's audio sync unit.  This allows the sync unit to receive a high level output and achieve good sync even if the volume of the main amp is turned down.  The main amp is a 240 watt car stereo unit with it's own volume control.  I removed the volume potentiometer from the amp case and added an extension to it.  This will allow it to be place in the torso so that the torso knob can directly control the volume.
Here's some shots:
Amp photo 1
Amp photo 2
Amp photo 3

I needed to make sure my side and back vents opened because I will need access to connect the torso wiring to the central support structure.  Craig made me a 360 degree channel and I had first planned for the vents to all slide in it.  I soon realized that this would not be practical.  Instead I've cut an approximate 200 degree section of it and will fix the vents to this channel.  After temporarily securing the vent channel in place, I used bondo to form a guide for it.  The channel and three vents will all rotate just enough to open all three simultaneously.
Here's a couple of shots:
Vents and channel:
Inside of torso with bondo channel guide (hard to see it).